Public Engagement Project
AIFD seeks to engage in the war of ideas against the ideology of political Islam or Islamism by bringing awareness and education to the general public through writings, media interviews, and public forums.
As the President of AIFD, Dr. M. Zuhdi Jasser is a nationally recognized expert in the contest of ideas against political Islam and American Islamist organizations. He has been featured in the Wall Street Journal, The Washington Times, The New York Post, The Dallas Morning News, CNN, CBS, Fox News Channel, MSNBC and BBC in addition to nationally syndicated radio programs. He has spoken at hundreds of national and international events including universities, places of worship, and government venues.
Activities in 2012
In total, AIFD reached an estimated audience size of almost 211 million people through its media efforts in 2012. This equates to a media impression level of almost 527 million people. That is more than four times the reach in 2009.
Dr. Jasser made 61 television appearances on issues such as:
- The Muslim Brotherhood
- Jumah at the Democratic National Convention
- Iranian Sanctions
- Civil war in Syria
- Unrest in Egypt
Dr. Jasser also completed more than 100 radio interviews in 2012.
- A few examples of recent articles by Dr. Jasser are:America must protect religious freedom abroad, (FoxNews.com, January 20, 2013)
- America must protect nonbelievers, (Richmond Times-Dispatch, January 20, 2013)
- The Times and the Muslims, (National Review Online, January 27, 2012)
- Of films and fear: The Times buys Islamist lies (New York Post, January 29, 2012)
- Sept. 11 terrorist attacks awakened us to a ‘battle for the soul of Islam,” (The Washington Post, September 18, 2012)
- Rise of Islamists in Middle East increases Middle East Threat (AIFD Website, September 18, 2012)
- Why ‘tough love’ is best answer for Arab world (Dallas Morning News, September 26, 2012)
Requests for our participation in government, university, and think tank roundtables have doubled from 2010 to 2012. The following is a sampling of public forums Dr. Jasser participated in during 2012:
- Embry Riddle University
- Rice University
- Bureau of Jewish Education
- University of California San Diego
- House Committee on Homeland Security
- Coptic Solidarity Conference
- Intelligence Squared Debate
- Counter Terrorism Conference
- Gatestone Institute
Other means of communications
AIFD has initiated other forms of public engagement, including:
- A Facebook page at AmericanIslamicForumforDemocracy.
- Frequent newsletters to inform a 3,000 subscriber list of relevant articles, events, and issues.
- A forum on AIFD’s website where individuals get answers to their questions about Islam.
- A YouTube page, AIFDtv, which carries all AIFD videos.